Leading a team and being the boss can be hard.
Are you investing in your staff, or as I like to say, your team?
Paying attention to your team RIGHT NOW is as important as having the right inventory and pricing, both major pieces of your retail success. Your team is an extension of you and your brand. They are a huge asset.
It can be hard being the boss, today I’m sharing some strategies that will help our employees be better at what they do for us. Strategies that will help them represent our brand in the best way possible and keep them happy. If our employees are happy, our customers are happy, we’re happy.
Here are six strategies to help you amplify your team’s performance this holiday:
- Team meetings – check in with everyone. Help them understand your goals, your plans, your events, and your promotional calendar. Get them excited and help them understand your WHY and what’s happening.
- Incentivize and/or Gamify – sales goals and fun challenges are a great way to get your team excited to sell!
- Individual Check-ins – create conversations with individual team members to see how they are doing, especially during the busy seasons.
- Standards of Operations – it’s an important time right now to revisit your policies and procedures, and shop standards with your team, new and long time employees. They are not mind readers, give them specifics.
- Product Knowledge and Suggestive Selling – make sure everyone is comfortable and confident in selling your products. Teach them how to upsell, current promotions, and teach them about your inventory.
- Role Playing – create scenarios for your team so they know how to manage situations with ease. Whether it’s power outages or cash shortages, mask mandates or upset customers, help them know what to say or do in the moment.
It’s time to put your CEO hat on, put a smile on your face, and have those meetings and conversations. Get those training done and in place. Take the time with your team, they will value it, and know you value them.
In This Episode:
[4:22] It all starts with you
[6:24] Training Program + more
[8:20] Team meeting
[10:51] Incentivize or gamify your sales stats
[12:23] Individual check-ins
[14:00] Standards of Operations
[17:27] Teach them how to sell
[21:52] Role Playing
A quote takeaway for you…
“Make sure you acknowledge and notice when your team does well.” – Wendy Batten
More Helpful Resources:
Find Wendy – Subscribe, Connect & Share Your Favorite Episodes
For more great content and helpful tips to grow your creative retail shop, visit Wendy’s website. Follow Wendy on Facebook and Instagram, subscribe on YouTube, and don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with other creative retailers.
Ways you can work with Wendy to grow your beautiful retail business here: https://wendybatten.com/work-with-me/
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Creative Shop Talk Podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts or Google Podcast to subscribe to the show and leave your honest review.
This podcast is sponsored by my Retailer’s Inner Circle:
If you want to elevate your skills as a shop owner, and have been searching for a community custom-made for you, join us inside the Retailer’s Inner Circle here!
The Shop Owner’s Game Plan
Just enter your email below to get this FREE retail video training worksheet!
If you’re a heart centered shop owner wondering what to do next in your retail biz, this is your game plan!
It has my 7 key business foundations and action steps for you to put into action to grow your retail business and position your store as the go-to in your market.