Creative Shop Talk Podcast Episode 177 | Local SEO Simplified with Matt Diamante from HeyTony
With Retail Coach Wendy Batten
Let’s talk about LOCAL SEO for retail. Today on the podcast I’m talking with Matt Diamante, owner of a Canadian digital marketing agency called HeyTony, about all things LOCAL SEO. If you aren’t sure where to start with SEO, this podcast episode is absolutely it. Matt and I talk through the basics and list small steps you can take today to get your retail business and website optimized on Google.
“[People use Google] with intent: they are looking to buy, they are looking for more information, maybe they are looking to do research to buy later. And if you are not showing up higher on Google, you aren’t going to make that sale.” -Matt Diamante
Simple Tips to improve local SEO on your website and Google Business:
- Your business name and logo, your address, and a contact phone number should be on the footer of every page of your website.
- Delete duplicate content from page to page on your website (this doesn’t apply to the footer). If more than one page on your website explains the same thing, rewrite it.
- The more reviews you have on your Google Business, the better you will rank. Ask your customers to leave reviews on Google.
- Ensure everything is updated on your Google Business page: your business name, address, phone, description, services, photos, etc. Make sure you list ALL of your services.
- Remember that social media isn’t necessarily used by people who have an intent to purchase (except TikTok sometimes). Use social media for instant feedback from your customers (likes, comments, etc.) SEO, on the other hand, gives us delayed gratification. It can take time to see that it’s working; however, locally, it can work fast if you put in the work.
- Use Google Search Console. Google Search Console is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site’s presence in Google Search results. It helps you learn and use your data.
- Blog as often as possible as long as you are putting out good pieces of content – at the very least, one time a month for retail shop owners. Answer the questions your customers have inserting your keywords, it doesn’t always have to be selling.
About Matt and HeyTony:
Hi! I’m Matt! I run a digital marketing agency called HeyTony. I’ve helped my clients get over 55M+ website visitors through my organic digital marketing efforts. Oh, and I love talking SEO. Don’t get me started, cause I won’t stop!
Check out my free course, Understanding SEO.
Follow along with me on Instagram @heytony.agency and on the HeyTony Website
Related podcasts we think you’d like:
Episode 95: Tips to Tame the Admin and Stay Ahead of Business Trouble
Episode 97: 5 Mistakes to Avoid on Your Website
Episode 160: Simplifying Social Media with Guest Expert Leanne Pressly
About Your Host, Wendy Batten:
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m Wendy, a small business coach and founder of The Retailer’s Inner Circle, where I help other independent shop owners learn how to gain the right business skillsets to see more profits, paychecks, and joy as they navigate running their retail business.
Through online classes, business coaching programs, speaking, and a top-ranked podcast, I’ve helped hundreds of retailers around the globe reclaim their dream and see the success they want from their beautiful shops. My signature private coaching community, The Retailer’s Inner Circle, has helped retailers around the world build their retail business skill sets and confidence.
I am proud to have been featured in several major publications, including my own business column in What Women Create magazine. I have been privileged to be a guest on top-ranked podcasts and sought-after as a guest speaker and teacher for several brands, associations, and communities that are passionate about the success of independent retailers.
When I’m not coaching, you will find me either DIYing and renovating my very imperfect old crooked cottage by the sea in the UNESCO World Heritage town of Lunenburg, NS, or blogging about our travel and RVing adventures and the weird fun things we get up to in our coastal village. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for real retailers at https://wendybatten.com/free-resources/
For more support from Wendy:
All of Wendy’s programs and services for shop owners can be found HERE.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes:
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I’d love you to consider it. Subscribing means you won’t miss an episode! Click here to subscribe to iTunes!
If you want to be more of a rock star, I’d love it if you could leave a review over on iTunes as well. Those reviews help other retailers find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. So grateful for you! Thank you!