Are you doing free demos in your store? Are you looking to get people excited about buying your products? It’s simple, show them how much YOU love it and how exciting your products are! The best way is to learn how to give a paint demonstration…
I grew my business originally with paint demos.
People would come, I would share, they would buy. I now live in a wee small town. Population 2300. I still have free paint demos and regularly have 10-25 show-up and sell a lot of paint after.
If you have a new product in your store, or want to show people just how stinking easy it is to use your paints, or how to prep furniture, or paint kitchen cabinets, or the crazy cool results you can get from using IOD’s, or glazes stenciling, or any other creative product in your shop you want to promote – offer a free demonstration!
Or maybe your sales in one area or with one brand are a little slower than you would like, and you want to want a little push in those sales. Offer a free demo.
But here is what I hear when I mention this to my coaching clients:
“But Wendy, I schedule and do free demos and no one shows up, or no one buys after”
If they are not showing up, you are not marketing properly. Simple as that. Posting it as an event, mentioning a couple of times on social is not enough, you shouldn’t be surprised if no one shows up.
How to Build Excitement for the Paint Demonstration
- Talk about it to customers in store.
- Send out emails a minimum 1 week out and 1 day out reminding your customers
- Introduce the product (or build excitement for a new one) long before the demo by talking about it, sharing info, make sure you are using it yourself.
- Do a FB live a few times in the week leading up and mention
- Do a FB live as you are doing the demo
- LOVE the product – your passion will show
- List it as an event as many places as you can in your community
- Share event with any local social posts you can
- Be smart about the timing of when you offer them, when your ideal client is most likely to drop in
How to Sell During Your Paint Demonstration
- LOVE your paint line or product you are showing off, your passion will sell your product
- Be sure to let them touch and feel and see
- Be enthusiastic
- Tell stories and address objections before they come up with great information and again, enthusiasm
- Ask questions “have any of you tried this before?” And if some have, let them sell it for you, or “what would you use this on” and let them start thinking of where they would use the product.
- Show them a “secret” technique, simple trick etc
- Leave time for questions – best way to sell
- Mention and encourage your workshops if you have them and gently ask if anyone would like to attend
- Consider a discount available only after the demo (I usually offer a workshop discount) as they are hooked and want more information.
Another objection I hear from my retailers:
“But if I show them for free they won’t come to a workshop”
This is a limiting mindset. Give, give, give. You’ll get.
The more we give, the more sales we make. Build trust and confidence with your customer. There will always be people who will never take the time for a workshop. (Hello, that is ME, yet, I would go to a free demo and buy all your paint once you hook me). It’s the same with our customers.
Remember the purpose of your paint or product demonstration. You are just “introducing” at a demo, and teaching WHAT your product can do and WHY you love it, you are sharing YOUR LOVE AND PASSION for it. You are not showing everything you do in a workshop.
My demos almost always result in workshop bookings after. They definitely result in paint or product sales after.
If you share your passion for your product, and your customers know, like and trust you, they will buy from you. Simple as that.
How to Give a Paint Demonstration
If you’re going to do demos… let me help. My best tips are here 👇👇
Have you ever done a free demo?
What are your favourite tips? Leave us a comment and let me know if you do demos or if you try it and how you make out.
I’ve also put together my favourite tips on WHAT to do for your free demo grab my top 10 tips sheet here.
Thanks for popping in!
Ps….if you need tips on how to run a free demo you can grab my top 10 tips sheet here.