Creative Shop Talk Podcast Episode 162: What to Focus on in Q3
With Retail Coach Wendy Batten
If your business’s most profitable season falls during Q4 (October, November & December) (as 99% of retail businesses do!), you’ll want to listen to today’s episode. Today on the podcast I’m sharing what you should be doing over the next few months in the 3rd quarter (July, August, September) to prepare your business for the very best Q4 ever.
If you need more after you finish today’s episode, join us in the Retailer’s Inner Circle! We are deep diving into a full-on Holiday Bootcamp training and masterclass in August.
Here’s a quick checklist (in no particular order) of what you might want to be focusing on in the 3rd quarter of 2023 to set your business up for success for the remainder 2023.
- Do a mid-year review. Check out Episode 112 of the podcast for what a mid-year review entails!
- Pull out your calendar and circle all the most important dates – both related to your personal life and your shop. (for example Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, but also your kids’ holiday programs, holiday parties you need to be at, etc.) Plan your promotional calendar through January.
- Set your marketing budget for Q4.
- Update and clean up all of your marketing assets. (Google Business, website, social media, branding, etc.)
- Make sure all holiday merchandise is ordered and scheduled for on time delivery.
- Check for local markets and events you want to be a part of in Q4.
- Batch and write holiday blog posts.
- Complete any maintenance or updates you’ve been putting off in your shop.
- Freshen up displays and DIY sample boards.
- Complete an in-store product plan for your incoming holiday merchandise.
- Get cozy with the reports in your POS system.
- Make sure all of your vendors and suppliers know your expectations.
- Add any additional revenue streams or product lines.
- Update shop procedures/manuals with your team.
- Makers: Set your “making” schedule and order cut off dates.
- Order your printed goods, banners, business cards, and signage.
- Set up any community or media collaborations you want to do in Q4.
- BUILD YOUR AUDIENCE NOW.
Are you a member of my Retailer’s Inner Circle group yet? As a member, you’ll have unlimited access to Retail Made Simple and countless masterclasses including a few mentioned in this episode covering topics such as merchandising, inventory and shop standards – just to name a few! Inner Circle members also have unlimited access to our online Facebook community, monthly group coaching, and monthly roundtable meetings with heart-centered like-minded retailers from all over the world. Join us today!
Related podcasts we think you’d like:
About Your Host, Wendy Batten:
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m Wendy, a small business coach and founder of The Retailer’s Inner Circle, where I help other independent shop owners learn how to gain the right business skillsets to see more profits, paychecks, and joy as they navigate running their retail business.
Through online classes, business coaching programs, speaking, and a top-ranked podcast, I’ve helped hundreds of retailers around the globe reclaim their dream and see the success they want from their beautiful shops. My signature private coaching community, The Retailer’s Inner Circle, has helped retailers around the world build their retail business skill sets and confidence.
I am proud to have been featured in several major publications, including my own business column in What Women Create magazine. I have been privileged to be a guest on top-ranked podcasts and sought-after as a guest speaker and teacher for several brands, associations, and communities that are passionate about the success of independent retailers.
When I’m not coaching, you will find me either DIYing and renovating my very imperfect old crooked cottage by the sea in the UNESCO World Heritage town of Lunenburg, NS, or blogging about our travel and RVing adventures and the weird fun things we get up to in our coastal village. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for real retailers at https://wendybatten.com/free-resources/
For more support from Wendy:
All of Wendy’s programs and services for shop owners can be found HERE.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes:
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I’d love you to consider it. Subscribing means you won’t miss an episode! Click here to subscribe to iTunes!
If you want to be more of a rock star, I’d love it if you could leave a review over on iTunes as well. Those reviews help other retailers find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. So grateful for you! Thank you!