Creative Shop Talk Podcast Episode 174 | 5 Ways to Network in Your Own Community
With Retail Coach Wendy Batten
As independent shop owners, we are always looking for ways to improve our shop’s visibility within our communities. We want our shops to be better known by the people who live and work where we do, right? If that sounds like you, listen up. Today’s podcast is all about your Attract Strategy through networking; or, in other words; getting you out of the door to get people in your door.
Before we dive in, I wanted to let you know that we have a new Sales Accelerator Course starting in October. Sign up here!
5 Ways to Network in Your Community
- Get social on social media: In addition to nurturing the clients you already have who follow you on social media, take a few minutes every day to comment, share, like, etc. on the posts of other businesses/groups where your ideal customers are hanging out. Check out who is watching your stories and who is following you and reach out to thank them or like some of their posts.
- Get involved in your community: Getting involved can mean joining the Chamber of Commerce, shopping around and supporting the other local businesses, joining a club or group, etc.
- Host a community event or service: Host an event that doesn’t have anything to do with your shop but supports your community. Examples from my clients are pet adoptions, paper shredding events, flea markets, book clubs, outside group meetings, etc.
- Set up collaborations: Think about your customers and what collaborations you can offer them to make their lives easier. What goods or services are complimentary to your products? Collaborate with other local businesses to offer workshops/events/products that your customers will love.
- Introduce yourself to people in your community: Retailers need to get out. Drop by some businesses in your community and introduce yourself without expectations. If it’s doable, offer a gift certificate or small gift as well. Having people know and recognize you and your business is incredibly valuable.
“[A mindset of] Collaboration over competition can work miracles for you.”
Related podcasts we think you’d like:
Episode 173: Find the Right Customer for Your Shop
Episode 166: Simple Sales Strategy Series: Return Customer Rate
Episode 165: Simple Sales Strategy Series: Increasing Your Average Order Value
Episode 164: Simple Sales Strategy Series: Foot Traffic and Conversion
Episode 163: Simple Sales Strategy Series: Where to Start
About Your Host, Wendy Batten:
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m Wendy, a small business coach and founder of The Retailer’s Inner Circle, where I help other independent shop owners learn how to gain the right business skillsets to see more profits, paychecks, and joy as they navigate running their retail business.
Through online classes, business coaching programs, speaking, and a top-ranked podcast, I’ve helped hundreds of retailers around the globe reclaim their dream and see the success they want from their beautiful shops. My signature private coaching community, The Retailer’s Inner Circle, has helped retailers around the world build their retail business skill sets and confidence.
I am proud to have been featured in several major publications, including my own business column in What Women Create magazine. I have been privileged to be a guest on top-ranked podcasts and sought-after as a guest speaker and teacher for several brands, associations, and communities that are passionate about the success of independent retailers.
When I’m not coaching, you will find me either DIYing and renovating my very imperfect old crooked cottage by the sea in the UNESCO World Heritage town of Lunenburg, NS, or blogging about our travel and RVing adventures and the weird fun things we get up to in our coastal village. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for real retailers at https://wendybatten.com/free-resources/
For more support from Wendy:
All of Wendy’s programs and services for shop owners can be found HERE.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes:
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I’d love you to consider it. Subscribing means you won’t miss an episode! Click here to subscribe to iTunes!
If you want to be more of a rock star, I’d love it if you could leave a review over on iTunes as well. Those reviews help other retailers find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. So grateful for you! Thank you!