Is your business running you or are you running your business?
Do you know there is more potential for success but you don’t know how to get there?
Headed to burnout trying to figure it all out?
Making business decisions on how you want your business to run is in your control. In this last episode of Season 2 of the Creative Shop Talk I’m sharing my story of burnout, how I see the pattern repeated with many retailers, and 5 ways you can fast track past mistakes and take full control.
I almost hit that wall. I knew there was an easier way. More potential.
Things were going well, but it was busy and I always knew there was more potential. I knew I was failing to reach said potential. I also knew I shouldn’t be this tired. So what was I missing? It wasn’t until my daughter told me that she was moving to New Zealand that I knew I needed to make a change. I needed things to stop being so hard, but I didn’t know how.
So I took control. I made a choice based on how I wanted my lifestyle and business to look.
There is SO MUCH POTENTIAL for your business to thrive with more ease.
Here are five mistakes I kept making and I see time and time again, and a way to fast track past them.
1. Superwoman Syndrome (and thinking of your business like your baby) – We’re doers, right? You’re used to always figuring it out. It’s time to realize that you are the CEO and step out of that superwoman role. We need a team around us.
2. Don’t Wing It – Acknowledge your skill gaps and figure out what business education you need in order to move things to the next level. Just winging it will keep you in a constant state of exhaustion and at a standstill with your business potential. In my case, I knew I needed to work on systems. Every level of success has a new set of skills. Get used to that.
3. Not Understanding the Metrics – Cash Flow. Money. Metrics. This is something that many of us ignore. It’s so important to know where our money’s going, our debt, and understand the data. We have to become a numbers person so we can grow and work smarter!!
4. Don’t Fish in the Same Pond (Marketing) – Don’t advertise to the same people. It’s not all about social media either. Your marketing strategy should include multiple strategies – your way – but still a strategy! Expand your audience and create a plan.
5. Having the Wrong Focus – If you want to see the potential in your business you not only need systems in place, but you need to look down the road 90 days, a year, and ask yourself what you want your business to look like. Stop winging it.
I want to encourage you as we head into the busy season and into 2022 to plan ahead.
Choose your hard! What seems hard now will help you thrive in 2022. Get your CEO hat on.
If you need help with your planning, my Inner Circle is open and we will have a planning masterclass. We have a special for the month of December and we’ll get you 50% off the first month!
Use Code: SHOPTALK for your podcast exclusive discount!
Let’s make sure you don’t hit that burnout wall, friend.
As we wrap up Season Two, I want to take this time to thank you for the thousands of weekly downloads, leaving reviews, and tuning in every week. I am so grateful and appreciative for all of the positive feedback, reviews, comments, etc.
Season 3 is coming at the end of December and we have some fantastic episodes already lined up. Amazing guests and retailers to share with you – lots of support coming in 2022.
Happy holidays friends!
In This Episode:
[3:19] My story
[11:10] Superwoman Syndrome and thinking of your business as your baby
[14:31] Stop winging it
[18:53] Understand the metrics
[23:59] Fishing in the same pond
[29:39] Plan, plan, plan
[34:05] Encouragement for 2022
A quote takeaway for you…
“Choose your hard. What might seem hard now to learn or lean into or ask for, will save you from hard struggles down the road and help you thrive!” – Wendy Batten
More Helpful Resources:
For more support from Wendy:
This podcast is sponsored by my Retailer’s Inner Circle:
If you want to elevate your skills as a shop owner, and have been searching for a community custom-made for you, join us inside the Retailer’s Inner Circle here!
The Shop Owner's FREE Review and Planning Guide
Just enter your email below to get this FREE retailer guide!
I created this just for you! With my FREE Business Review & Planning Guide, you’ll get refocused and reenergized on your dreams, clarity on what’s working in your business (and what’s not), and create an action plan that you can start implementing today to get you closer to the business of your dreams.
I’m so excited to share this guide, I created it for us little guys with big hearts and dreams for our businesses. My hope is it will serve you as you recharge, refocus, assess to get clarity on the next best step for you and your beautiful business.